We welcome you to visit the "Careers at NKY Health" page of our website at www.nkyhealth.org for links to CareerBuilder and a list of all positions open for application.
Northern Kentucky Health Department
December 12, 2022
Epidemiologist [code: EPI]
Do you want to make your community a better place to live by preventing disease, promoting wellness and protecting against health threats? Are you excited about being part of a team focused on making a difference? Do you like new challenges? Does work/life balance appeal to you? If you answered YES, then it may be time for you to find the job you love right here at NKY Health. The Population Health Division of NKY Health is accepting applications for an Epidemiologist to assist with communicable disease containment and to promote and protect the health of Northern KY by recommending and administering health and safety standards. This position will be based at our District office in Florence but may travel within our region. Usual work hours are M-F between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. We could be waiting for YOU!
Status: Full-Time (40 hours/wk), non-exempt (hourly pay) merit system position
Starting Pay Rate: $29.51 - $36.22/hour (based on your years of directly related paid experience)
Reports To: Epidemiology Manager
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Assesses assigned epidemiology activity. (Collects disease information/data. Performs disease evaluation. Conducts disease surveillance. Takes reports of communicable disease during business and non-business hours. Works as a liaison to outside data-generating entities to develop and maintain partnerships for sharing and using data. Prepares recommendations and plans of action to reduce the occurrence and severity of communicable and other diseases and to address identified issues.)
- Conducts epidemiological activities. (Works with appropriate local partners and the Kentucky Department for Public Health’s epidemiology program to complete necessary disease surveillance. Investigates cases to determine cause of illness, risk factors, progression of disease, or mode of transmission. Conducts field investigations as needed during periods of unusual occurrence of disease or outbreaks.
- Conducts analyses on assigned diseases. (Conducts analysis on diseases and looks for any potential emerging patterns. Participates in the design, management, and evaluation of surveillance mechanisms. Makes recommendations on interventions, preventative methods and treatments.)
- Disseminates information related to infectious diseases and health related behaviors to stakeholders. (Educates healthcare workers, patients, and the public about infectious and communicable diseases, including disease transmission and prevention. Designs, prepares and reviews reports from epidemiological studies, surveillance data, field visits, health related behaviors and other relevant information. Prepares and presents complex technical reports. Translates complex data for community members and agencies. Presents and discusses results of epidemiological data, surveillance data and health related behaviors. Makes recommendations on the control of disease based on surveillance results, field investigations, laboratory tests and other available and relevant information.)
- Prepares staff and public health professionals to respond to public health epidemiologic emergencies. (Assists with the coordination of epidemiologic exercises/drills as assigned. Participates in NKY Health disaster planning and preparedness exercises. Functions as a member of the Epidemiology Rapid Response Team (ERRT) for NKY Health and the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Participates in epidemiology-related communicable disease response efforts. Communicates with Epidemiology staff in other organizations. Represents NKY Health at various meetings relevant to the region.)
- Performs community outreach activities to raise awareness of assigned program(s.) (Assists with coordination of internal and external team meetings by scheduling meetings/team activities, establishing agendas for meetings, and handling pertinent communications. Prepares and makes educational presentations to target groups and individuals. Prepares and distributes educational materials to community and healthcare facilities. Assists with coordination of infectious disease control luncheons.)
- Monitors reports of occurrences of illness and food items recalled due to potential contamination. (Monitors reports for cases of illness due to potential contamination and of communicable disease. Monitors reports and disseminates information about food items recalled due to potential contamination.)
- Completes special projects. (Responds to public health emergencies as assigned. Completes other special projects.)
- Performs other duties. (Attends work as scheduled or uses approved leave. Collaborates in and contributes to individual, team, and/or organizational quality improvement and evaluation activities; Participates in internal and external meetings; Serves on internal and external committees; Completes timecard; Completes travel reports; Completes required training; Completes other assigned duties.)
Valid, active driver’s license, reliable transportation, and either of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Epidemiology, Public Health, Biostatistics, Nursing or closely related field from an accredited university/college with coursework including at least one course in Epidemiology and a second course in a closely related field such as biostatistics, vital and medical statistics, informatics, etc.
- The equivalent combination of experience and education sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Same as above plus prior public health experience and/or bilingual English/Spanish.
Apply through CareerBuilder ONLY (www.careerbuilder.com).
We're sorry but to be fair we have to discard paper applications, faxed applications, and emailed applications without considering them.
For immediate consideration apply by 12/20/2022.
We’ll accept your application as long as the position is posted on CareerBuilder.
Please reference code EPI on any attachments or correspondence. No phone calls, paper applications, or paper resumes please. Selection will be made by interview(s), and/or review of submitted documentation, which must indicate that applicant meets minimum qualifications. Criminal background check will be required. Failure to meet any of the selection criteria shall disqualify an applicant.
Northern Kentucky Health Department Human Resources – EPI
Please visit our website at www.nkyhealth.org
to view other opportunities to join our family.
8001 Veterans Memorial Drive, Florence KY 41042